DrkCherry

DrkCherry's Place

I see books. I buy books. Some get read. Some go on my growing pile of TBR.
Angels' Blood - Nalini Singh Excerpt: Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux is hired by the dangerously beautiful Archangel Raphael. But this time, it’s not a wayward vamp she has to track. It’s an archangel gone bad.The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other—and pull her to the razor’s edge of passion. Even if the hunt doesn’t destroy her, succumbing to Raphael’s seductive touch just may. For when archangels play, mortals break.There are many characters in this story, but the main characters were Elena Deveraux and the Archangel Raphael. Elena is a vampire hunter and Raphael one of 10 Archangel leaders. He controls the North American territory. Elena has specific abilities that lead her to be hired by Raphael to hunt for a killer. I got the feeling that there was a hint of a past connection between the two, but I’m not sure. It would explain why Raphael knew of her specific abilities, why she out of all the other hunters was chosen for a specific job, although Raphael has spies everywhere.I really liked Nalini's description of the Angels. She showed them as ancient, powerful, psychotic and dangerous, to the point of being cruel and destructive, as we see when Raphael enters into a Quiet trance, so to speak. I also liked that even when Elena and Raphael entered into a relationship, Raphael stayed true to character. His new found feelings did’t make him any less dangerous or arrogant; he just got a touch of humanity.We got a small bit of backstory on Ransom, Dimitri and Illium. I think them having stories of their own would make for a terrific read. Ransom is like the annoying kid brother. I found it very telling that Illium had to remind Elena that he was still dangerous. She seemed to have gotten caught up in his beauty and softness and forgot ‘what’ she was dealing with. Of the three, Dimitri may be the hardest to write (speaking as a non-writer), but he would be the most interesting. He’s got a wicked sense of humor, but is sadistic in nature. I’m not sure I could handle him in a relationship with the female version of himself, but I do like the way he pushes his boundaries in antagonizing Elena.Until Elena’s comment about the moronic vampires being made, and Raphael’s explanation about the toxins, I thought we were going to find out that vampires as powerful as Dimitri were once Angels. It would have explained why Dimitri was so powerful and why the Angel’s answered to him, even if he was the head of Raphael’s security team and was over a thousand years old.Raphael said the dust from his wings that Elena tasted was a different blend. I wonder if it’s specific to the sexual partner or different because of his feelings for her? And can the Angels/Archangels change the taste at will?There were a few things that I felt should have been cleared up, maybe it will be addressed in the next book. But if this series is like the Psy-Changelings, then the next book will be about different characters, and we may never find out.While this is the first of a series, I don’t think we were given enough information on Elena and Raphael’s past. We are given hints about things that happened to Elena as a child, bits of her terror, but that’s it. Based on the information we got on the Angel dust and Elena’s memory of being told to ‘taste’, I ‘think’ I know what happened to her mother and sisters, but it's not clear. I also didn’t understand the connection between her father removing any remembrance of her mother and the things in the bank safe deposit box. There was an ‘aha’ moment, but I seem to have missed it. They live in a world of angels and vampires, so I don’t really understand why Elena was disowned based on her abilities. Was it because of what happened to her mother and sisters? Did her father think that because of her abilities she should have been able to stop it? Why exactly are her abilities seen as an abomination, yet her vampire brother-in-law is welcomed back into the family, even if it is business-related?There’s also Raphael’s mother. Was she just a cruel Archangel or did she become bloodriven as well? What happened to her? Why did his father have to be killed?There was sexual tension between Elena and Raphael, but it seemed like Elena gave in too quickly. Especially when you take into account what might have happened with her mother and sisters, her being disowned by her family, what she did for a living and the manipulation of Raphael. She accused Raphael of trying to mind rape her, he went a bit psycho and she shot him and she was being threatened by his bodyguards left and right. I just think they fell into bed too quickly after that.If I had to change anything about the book, it would be the font size. I found it to be smaller than normal, which limited how much I could read at one time. However, I stayed up until midnight last night reading this, it was that good.